Thursday, December 17, 2009

FLAT CLASSROOM PROJECT REFLECTION


Visit Flat Classroom Project
In his book, The World is Flat, Thomas Friedman looks at technological advances that are creating a more level economic playing field with disadvantaged countries rising in knowledge and wealth. Telephone and computer technology that was previously a stronghold of developed countries has been mastered by countries such as China and India. This makes these nations economically competitive. Friedman sees the flattening effect to be comparable to the Industrial Revolution.
Friedman also discusses the effect of outsourcing jobs from the United States to foreign countries. Reallocating jobs from America to a foreign country raises that country's economy and standard of living, and consequently, the demand for American goods and services. This is a positive development which will continue to grow until world economies are lateral or, a flat line. A flat world means we are all economically dependent and in more communication with each other. This represents opportunity to some and a threat to others. There can be a positive “flat” world with mutual benefits for all, or a negative “flat” world, where through terrorism, there would be mutual detriment for all.
After reading the book I felt it opened my eyes in the sense that I was able to compare it to the classroom setting and saw where the relation between, The World is Flat, and The Flat Classroom Project could be connected.
It was exciting to become a participant in The Flat Classroom Project. As an expert advisor our job was to provide feedback and point out resources to the team we chose to advise. After the ball got rolling we were able to communicate with the team members updates and additions. My specific groups topic was Globalization and Outsourcing. They focused on the background of the subject, current news on Globalization and Outsourcing, its impact on Education, Government and Politics, and the Arts. I feel that I would have enjoyed more interaction on part of the students because it was fairly one sided in the communication between Advisor and Student. There was some great dialog though from student to student.
When looking back on the organization of the involvement of the project, I feel like it was sudden and unplanned because of all the misunderstandings and lack of notice when things needed to be completed. If the communication or the project was a little better organized it may have gone more smoothly. I do understand though, that there were many levels of people working on this project together and sometimes it’s hard to manage such large groups of people.
Along with my involvement in the project I was able to experience many different means of communicating. I toughly enjoyed the Skype sessions, VoiceThread, and discussions on the Wiki and Ning. It amazes me all the various ways we can now stay connected.
Overall, I am pleased with playing an active roll in such an exciting project. I am also thrilled to be able to say that I participated in The Flat Classroom Project as an Expert Advisor. The opportunity and my involvement look great as a future educator.

Visit my Ning Page for the Flat Classroom Project!

No comments:

Post a Comment